Christmas services are special moments in our worship life as communities; services that many people anticipate all year long! Here are some great ideas from Vineyard churches to make your services impacting, memorable, and magical.
1. Line Outdoor Walkways With Lights – There are many creative ways to light up walkways. As your congregation, newcomers, and children come in, make the path sparkle in a way that says “Welcome.”
2. Dickensian Carolers – Have any folks in your church or area that love to sing carols in 4 part harmony? Have them singing outside, or in the foyer, as people come into the service.
3. Bright Lights On Bare Limbs – Put up bare limbs of trees, filled with white Christmas lights, at various spots among the seats in your sanctuary (you’ll lose a few seats doing this one). The ambient light creates a wonderful atmosphere in the room.
4. Christmas Cookie & Hot Drink Bar – In the foyer, trays of cookies and hot drinks (cider, coffee, hot chocolate, and tea) give the sense of a Christmas party as people enter the main meeting area.
5. Door Knocker Campaign – Using one of our Christmas door knockers, have a day where you distribute these to the church, encouraging them to invite their neighborhood to your services. Put a beautiful quote on it they can hang on a doorknob inside their house.
6. Children’s Candle Lighting Experience – Put candles across the front of your stage (or on a table) that parents can help their children light for the service. Attach a theme to the candle lighting, like “Light a candle for the Light of the world.”
7. String Quartet In The Foyer – Using your classical music contacts (high schools? local orchestras?), find a string quartet willing to fill your foyer with Christmas music. Or go with jazz, bluegrass, or another genre of music.
8. Christmas Bags For The Needy – Before or after a Christmas or Christmas Eve service, have a party where youth and/or children fill hygiene kit bags with special gifts for the poor in your area. Have the youth, or families, distribute them.
9. Themed Photo Booth – Create a free photo booth with props for individuals or families themed with the Nativity, or themes like Winter Wonderland, Candy Land, Narnia, or Who-ville. Or have an artist paint a backdrop that says “Christmas at the _________ Vineyard.” Take family photos there.
10. Kids Christmas Story In The Service – Gather the children at the front during the service for a 10 minute special Christmas story. Read or tell a short story, share a lesson, and give them a treat to take back to their seats.
VDM Resources Ready To Enhance Your Christmas Services
Check out INBREAKING Sermon and Slide resources here.
Sorry! There seems to be an error. Please go back to the homepage and then try again.